Yamaha Rhino Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can start my 660 and drive it around for a while get everything good and warmed up then shut it off and it will not restart or even try to crank. battery is good all connections are tight. Thinking it may be a relay or sensor problem please help.

·
Registered
73 Posts
after it does this , cross over the solenoid with a screwdriver , and see what it does if it starts right up then track your wires as one of them are loose ,, also if you are running a cheap solenoid from China they are POS ,,

Jake

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
after it does this , cross over the solenoid with a screwdriver , and see what it does if it starts right up then track your wires as one of them are loose ,, also if you are running a cheap solenoid from China they are POS ,,

Jake
I tried that it will turnover fast enough to start but it just does not fire up. Thanks

·
Registered
73 Posts
i would ck the wires on the solenoid first for good contact , also making sure that the spades are not broken and able to move side to side ..like my China one was doing . also have some one turn the key on while you lean over your battery box , you should have one of the big black relays clicking , if not you may have to replace the relay .. my Rhino came to me with wire ,starting gremlins like you mention here , I ended up replacing all relays , and going with a OEM solenoid and grounding my black ground wire to the frame & grounding the motor to the frame , since i did that i have had zero starting problems , none and it cost around 150.00 for the relays and the OEM solenoid , after 15 years the originals relays could of got hot and was giving out . and for me it was good money spent .

Jake

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i would ck the wires on the solenoid first for good contact , also making sure that the spades are not broken and able to move side to side ..like my China one was doing . also have some one turn the key on while you lean over your battery box , you should have one of the big black relays clicking , if not you may have to replace the relay .. my Rhino came to me with wire ,starting gremlins like you mention here , I ended up replacing all relays , and going with a OEM solenoid and grounding my black ground wire to the frame & grounding the motor to the frame , since i did that i have had zero starting problems , none and it cost around 150.00 for the relays and the OEM solenoid , after 15 years the originals relays could of got hot and was giving out . and for me it was good money spent .

Jake
Thanks Jake I can hear the clicking like you said going to check it wire by wire next. Is there any of the sensors that would stop power going to the coil?

·
Registered
73 Posts
no just fuses and relays ,, pull all of your fuses , and make sure they are all good ,, if in doubt change all fuses out for piece of mind . sounds like you just have to spend the time and track it down ,, do you have the manual ? you can down load it for free and check out the wire diagrams and go from there . also switch out your relays in the other socket's and see if that makes a difference that what i did on mine to .
Good luck on the Gremlins ..

Jake

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
no just fuses and relays ,, pull all of your fuses , and make sure they are all good ,, if in doubt change all fuses out for piece of mind . sounds like you just have to spend the time and track it down ,, do you have the manual ? you can down load it for free and check out the wire diagrams and go from there . also switch out your relays in the other socket's and see if that makes a difference that what i did on mine to .
Good luck on the Gremlins ..

Jake
Thanks again Jake yes I have a manual and have tested all fuses they are good.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I can start my 660 and drive it around for a while get everything good and warmed up then shut it off and it will not restart or even try to crank. battery is good all connections are tight. Thinking it may be a relay or sensor problem please help.
try to put jumper cables on it to see if it will turn over then. Mine does that too. I just keep a little jump starter with me in case.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
try to put jumper cables on it to see if it will turn over then. Mine does that too. I just keep a little jump starter with me in case.
Got it going ok for now. One of the spade connectors on a relay was a little lose pushed it down and all is good. I think it was corroded some also.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts