Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting ready to do the first oil change since I have owned my rhino. I remember the guy I bought it from saying that he was running ams oil in it but I read that some people are running rotella which would be better for me since I already run that in my boat. Is there any harm in switching it without flushing it? Also how much oil does this thing hold? I do know that it needs to be FULL on the dipstick before every ride but not sure how many quarts full is. Thanks.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I use Yamalube in mine & always have because it's designed for the wet clutch specifically.
I agree. The Yamalube was designed for these ATV's/UTV's so use it. People love to experiment with other brands and then report on here about their failed engines, or transmissions. I run what is recommended by Yamaha and after 1100 miles I haven't had any issues other than the tires are about worn down to minimum specs.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I personally do not run OEM oil in ANY of my machines. Most oil related failures are due to running low on oil...not typically related to the oil they run.

I(along with many other forum members) run Rotella T full synthetic..I run 5w-40 and its labeled as Rotella T-6...T-5 is a semi synthetic. At the local walmart it costs $22 for a 4 quart jug. With oil filter change it will take around 2.5quarts but fill up to 2 quarts and then add in increments until its at the proper lever on your dip stick...I think the book actually says 2.3 qts.

Also remember to check oil when its warm and to not screw the dip stick in all the way when checking oil. You need to remove dipstick, wipe clean and then simply set it back down on top of the threads. If you screw it in, you are not getting an accurate reading.

And you will get tons of various answers on this subject. There are certain types of oil you need to run with the wet clutch..I believe you don't want the oil to be energy conserving labeled. There are MANY threads on here all with good answers so do yourself a favor and read up. Main thing is to be consistent with your maintenance.

And to add to this..Rutting Rhino has a great post in the following thread regarding oil and filters. While he doesn't cover all different types, he does sum up some of the info I had found as well regarding best oils and filters:
http://www.rhinoforums.net/general-rhino-discussion/56641-maintenance-routines.html

1 - 5 of 5 Posts