Yamaha Rhino Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My battery eventually goes dead and is not charging. It seems to take full charge when i manually charge it. When I test for voltage at battery with engine running, revving, etc...I see ZERO increase in voltage. Seems to tell me my charging system isn't working somewhere.

I disconnected the plugs at stator and tried continuity check, but yamaha manual says to check with your meter set at 1 ohm. Not sure i have a 1 ohm setting on my cheap Harbor Freight meter, I tried a few resistance settings and I always seem to get 000 reading at all 3 locations = full continuity.

I tried to check AC output while running. I set meter at lower AC setting (200 i think) and i got readings of 6.8, 8 and 8.6 (going from memory...all were between 6-9 and definitely under 10).

Do i need to replace stator? My rhino has 3000 miles. Seems like too early for stator to pack it in.

Why do people say to get OEM? It is uber expensive and I see many cheap chinese ones for $35 on ebay. If Yamaha stator was that good, why have so many folks replaced them? I will crack open my wallet if you convince me, just thinking out loud.

Does oil need to be drained when stator replaced? Coolant drained? If so, i am a dummy for doing oil change yesterday!! DOH!!

Thanks for replies and help!!

·
Premium Member
3,154 Posts
Many people have the oem go bad because they overload it with stereos, lightbars winches,ect. And some run all the grounds to the batt.. a 35 dollar stator will get you what u pay for. My 09 700 stator is oem i run 2 lightbars,, lighted whips, a radio with in car com. But i also run a painess fuse block for all that and all grounds go to the frame. Only advice i can give is go oem and dont overload it and it will last

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I only have winch and aftermarket headlights (I think HID). I do see one extra item grounded to battery. Is that hard on a stator? Do you think my extras are drawing that much/stressing stator?

Would you buy a used OEM stator? it is about 1/3 of the price.

My mechanic friend swears by the OEM stator too, so I will probably listen and not cheap out.

·
Premium Member
3,154 Posts
You should b fine once u put in new stator u dont have much extra draw there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23 Posts
Check out the videos on YouTube from Partszilla. They put really great ones on testing the charging system of a 700.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'm not sure what the difference in stators are but I cheaped out and have replaced them pretty quickly. I think I have put 4 stators in mine. The latest one was it. I may have to bite the bullet and go with the OEM stator. Unless my rectifier is somehow burning them up? Not sure...
Anyways, sounds like your issue is definitly the stator.

·
Registered
34 Posts
And yes. You will need to disconnect the coolant hose from the bottom of casing and drain the coolant, as well as disconnect the oil lines that are next to the oil filter. You will pull the oil lines out of the way to get the housing off. You do not need to remove your water pump. Just remove the lowest bolt that goes through the bottom of the water pump. It's a pretty easy job. But you will need new coolant, oil, and gasket for the housing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts