Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
Likely to have more than one answer so lets start with hours/miles? Has it been running okay or has it been sitting for awhile? Backfiring through the carb usually indicates a valve timing issue and/or other timing irregularity. Answer the questions and we'll go from there..

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It has 287.7 hours it’s been sitting for a couple months because the starter went out and I’m just now having time to mess with it it’ll turn over then back fire it also blew the lid off of the breather box

·
Registered
723 Posts
A very "lean" condition can cause a backfire through the intake manifold area exiting out the throttle body - valve timing could also be the issue but lets start with the simplest first which is fuel delivery and fuel quality. Is the fuel stagnant from sitting too long (2 months should not be an issue). Are you getting a good squirt of fuel out of the injector? If in doubt you may have to pop off the fuel line to the throttle body and do a flow test by cranking engine over with open line & checking the flow. If fuel flow seems adequate then it may be a valve issue but I'm leaning more toward something simple. There are no inline fuel filters on the 700 other than the sock on the fuel tank pick-up tube - could be restricted?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the fuel pump doesn’t prime when I turn the key to the on position but it pumps a good flow of gas out when turning the key all the way

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
And I pump some of the gas out of the tank and set it on fire and it caught fire pretty good

·
Registered
723 Posts
This may be a bit of a stretch James, but what if by chance the starter is reverse wired causing it to crank the motor in the opposite direction? Given it ran okay BEFORE the starter replacement this could be the issue..

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It’s one wire on the top of the starter and there was a second wire grounded behind the starter

·
Registered
723 Posts
It's not likely anything you did. Is this a rebuilt starter or brand new? As far as checking the engine rotation you will probably have to pull the timing cover to check that. Try going on Youtube to see if there is a video that explains how to check rotation. They seem to have videos for everything on Youtube.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Since it was running when you put it in storage, If it has been sitting in less than a controlled space, check intakes and exhaust for any rodent activity and nesting. Pull intake and check the air passage at throttle body.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts