Yamaha Rhino Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got an 08 700 rhino that is loosing coolant somewhere and is starting to smoke.

I'm gonna say the head gasket is gone.

Haven't torn into it yet but was wondering if there is anything special I need to know i.e. gasket styles or even other things that should be changed with it.

Any input would be greatly appreciated..

Never tore into these motors before.. cant be too difficult.

·
Vendor
3,509 Posts
If you are going that far, I would just pull the cylinder, send to millennium technology to be replated, get new rings, deck the head and maybe valve stem seals.

Watch the video video below when you go back with it so you get it timed right.

Also, pull the bed off and work from rear, much easier on back.

https://www.hunterworks.com/stage_i_cam_install

Todd

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you are going that far, I would just pull the cylinder, send to millennium technology to be replated, get new rings, deck the head and maybe valve stem seals.

Watch the video video below when you go back with it so you get it timed right.

Also, pull the bed off and work from rear, much easier on back.

Ok thanks for the info.. appreciate it man

https://www.hunterworks.com/stage_i_cam_install

Todd

·
Registered
12 Posts
Get a manual and watch Tom's Tinkering video on youtube. I have a 660 that i just got running. I re-used head bolts, rented/borrowed a larger torque wrench from Autozone. if you're going to keep it I agree with taking all the way to base. Depending on mileage might not need to be sent to Millinium. I would definetly get the head re-surfaced. My was $45 usd at a local shop. Get some yamaha-bond or equivalent. Get a gasket for the coolant line as the top end kit does not have. I had the wife cut one out of gasket material I had and worked fine. Setting timing is the hardest thing, as I believe the 700 and 660's are similar. Just take your time and make sure its correct and watch a bunch of videos while your wating for your parts. Cannot stress enough to get the proper repair manual.

Good luck, it's not too bad. I work on a lot of 2 strokes and this was pretty simple, just a lot of parts (bolts mainly) to keep track of and why I encourage you to watch Tom's vidoes. He's got some good tips.

Larry

1 - 5 of 5 Posts