Yamaha Rhino Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
UTV runs like normal. After starting it the reverse light turns solid when that gear is selected and goes out when back to neutral or high.

When you get a few hundred feet down the road the reverse light starts flashing and will not stop until you turn the engine off and back on.

Speedometer works fine. No rev limiters.

I checked the reverse sensor wire under airbox for loose connections on the sensor going into engine and the straight disconnect about 6 inches back on passenger side. Both seem to have good/firm connection. If you disconnect either before flashing reverse light goes solid. After it starts flashing, disconnecting doesn't do anything.

Where do I go from here? The flashing light gets really annoying.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Okay, here is some knowledge for the next guy troubleshooting this.

I got my hands on the service manual after finding a solid white wire broken going into the CDI. It shows that going to the speed sensor along with a blue/yellow wire. I read some other posts about it maybe being the speed sensor but I was thrown off because my speedometer works fine. The root cause to my issue is a broke white wire. By rigging that up the light goes away.

Problem isn't solved yet though. The wire broke about a 1/2" from the six pin connector. Got plenty on the whip of the harness but this won't last. I've got to figure out to re-pin the CDI harness connectors or get super lucky and have a friend drop some solder on what's left of the tail coming out the connector... Not much to work with...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dropped some solder on the wires and it's like new again. Good to know friends with skills.

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
Thanks for posting the fix.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts