Yamaha Rhino Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.

Cleaned a carb on my buddies 07 450. I did not remove the brass plugs on the AF screw, but noted there was 2 plugs. Gave the carb back to my friend. He still had issues so another guy who "knew how to work on these" drilled them out. Both of them. Found the AF screw in one, bottomed out. The other hole he said was blank, but maybe there was 3 small holes way in there. At any rate, they plugged the apparent un-used hole w/ RTV (not my recommendation by any means) and set the AF screw to 2 turns out and they are still having issues. My question is was the other hole actually a vent if it had 3 little holes or is it truly just blank and not used?

As a side note, my buddy checked valves, cleaned the carb about 20 times already, checked for vacuum leaks, measured the fuel level - just about everything you could think of. Said it runs like a champ when starting it with the "choke" on. Says you can drive it around w/ the choke and its good. But you think about closing the choke, it dies. He said even when driving down the road at 50% or more throttle, you close the choke, it dies. I told him to re-evaluate whether he put it all back together correctly (float, needle, jets etc) because I'd think even if the pilot circuit was completely plugged, it should still run on the main jet once the slide is up. He did verify the slide is working as well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’ll have him double check the pilot size and make sure the passages are clear. The unit is stock so I doubt it’s too small unless someone installed the wrong pilot.

I’m surprised a clogged pilot would kill it at more than 50% throttle though. Usually once you’re on the main it’ll run just poorly.

That being said can someone speak to the extra plug that’s next to the AF screw plug? Cosmetic?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts