Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have a 06 rhino 660 that was running great about 6 months ago. I got it started and it ides ok, but when I step on the gas it spits and sputters and tries to stall. It does it in low/high and reverse. If I restrict the air intake with my hand, it gets up to RPM's and runs fine but I have to keep feathering the air in order for it to keep running. Took carb off and cleaned, checked, and blew out all jets. Checked the top book of carb for holes, all good. Fuel/air screw was set by mechanic. Thinking it may be a fuel pump because by restricting air it suck more fuel into carb. Fuel filter is full when idling. Hunting trip coming up and need some assistance, PLEASE!!!

·
Registered
754 Posts
Well it definitely sounds like a fuel issue doesn't it? Try pulling your fuel line off at the carb inlet - try & get something like a coke bottle to put the end of the hose into (just want to keep fuel away from an ignition source). Crank the engine over and observe fuel flow - you should be getting a steady (but not strong) pulse of fuel coming out. We're just looking to see how quickly, if at all, that the bottle fills up with fuel. If the flow is weak to non-existent, then pull the outlet line of the fuel pump and try again. If fuel flow is the same then check to see that fuel is coming into the pump unrestricted by disconnecting the inlet line to the pump (from fuel tank). I just don't want you to run off and buy a new pump without first making sure that fuel is getting to the old pump. If there is plenty of fuel on the inlet side of the pump, then by all means change out the old pump.

Let us know how it works out..

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well it definitely sounds like a fuel issue doesn't it? Try pulling your fuel line off at the carb inlet - try & get something like a coke bottle to put the end of the hose into (just want to keep fuel away from an ignition source). Crank the engine over and observe fuel flow - you should be getting a steady (but not strong) pulse of fuel coming out. We're just looking to see how quickly, if at all, that the bottle fills up with fuel. If the flow is weak to non-existent, then pull the outlet line of the fuel pump and try again. If fuel flow is the same then check to see that fuel is coming into the pump unrestricted by disconnecting the inlet line to the pump (from fuel tank). I just don't want you to run off and buy a new pump without first making sure that fuel is getting to the old pump. If there is plenty of fuel on the inlet side of the pump, then by all means change out the old pump.

Thanks. I will definety try that. Ill let you know what I find out. Thanks again.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My 07 does the same thing. I don't have much time on it...my dad gave it to me a couple months ago, but I know that he battled fuel issues since he bought it. He largely got it resolved to his satisfaction but it still does it frequently. I have a Yamaha TTR225 that is similar except its more on the starting side that it has problems. I've gone up on the pilot as was suggested which helped it idle better once running but did nothing to alleviate the starting problems.
On the Rhino I think he finally went up on the main jet but I can't tell you how big. I think it sounds more like a pilot jet issue, assuming it's not the pump.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello, I have a 06 rhino 660 that was running great about 6 months ago. I got it started and it ides ok, but when I step on the gas it spits and sputters and tries to stall. It does it in low/high and reverse. If I restrict the air intake with my hand, it gets up to RPM's and runs fine but I have to keep feathering the air in order for it to keep running. Took carb off and cleaned, checked, and blew out all jets. Checked the top book of carb for holes, all good. Fuel/air screw was set by mechanic. Thinking it may be a fuel pump because by restricting air it suck more fuel into carb. Fuel filter is full when idling. Hunting trip coming up and need some assistance, PLEASE!!!
I have had a little pice of crap get into the fuel pump. Was able to take apart and clean it and that did the trick. I then added an inline filter ahead of it and have never had the problem again.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I would assume you already tried this but have you changed the fuel filter? I noticed you said it was full which it shouldn’t be. These things don’t need a lot of restriction to cause problems. Don’t go by the looks of it either. Mine always look clean when I have problem but as soon as I change it… problem solved.
When you buy a new one, buy two and keep one in the glove box. I will not take my rig out without an extra on hand.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Followed your advice and tested the fuel flow. Seemed like I was getting to much fuel. Took some other advice from the others who gave me advice and changed the fuel filter, same problem. Took carb apart again and blew out entire carb, jets, etc. Put back together and it running good now. Thanks for all the advice.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts