Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, my 06 660 SE (fully stock motor and ignition) seems to be coughing more now than it did previously and usually only when cold. I started the rihino the other evening (fairly warm weather 60). Drove down the road at a fast walking pace as we were searching for something lost. I had gone approximately a mile and it was still coughing. Temp gage was normal warm range. Even after a quick run down the road @ 30mph it was still coughing on acceleration and at an even steady pace. I was thinking perhaps a new fuel pump or powered pump in line with the stock pump?

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Does it smoke? I have the same symptoms when it's cool out. I need to quit smoking!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
I'm joking, I haven't looked at many with carbs but I would check the choke and make sure it is opening all the way when it warms up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
521 Posts
I know my 660 is very temperamental until it warms up too. I had a similar experience with the machine hesitating even when it was warmed up but that was some old gas. Had to drain what was left in the tank and put it fresh. That did it.
Maybe you have some bad gas or partially clogged filter?

·
Registered
306 Posts
You could try a fresh fuel filter and check fuel pump output,but it might be time for a carb. cleaning.,namely the power and pilot jets.
yamaha seems to have these things so lean from the factory,that it doesn't take much blockage for them to not run right.
I snorkeled my '06,it opened it up, and i had to jump up 2 pilot jet sizes and one main jet size, to get rid of the cold-naturedness,coughing.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Gas is pretty fresh, I have not checked air filter.. good point. and also I can put on a fresh fuel filter. good starting points. I have never pulled the carb jets. I have never done anything frankly with carb but my son( mid 20s) is a terrific wrench. so perhaps I farm it off to him...

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Hey all, my 06 660 SE (fully stock motor and ignition) seems to be coughing more now than it did previously and usually only when cold. I started the rihino the other evening (fairly warm weather 60). Drove down the road at a fast walking pace as we were searching for something lost. I had gone approximately a mile and it was still coughing. Temp gage was normal warm range. Even after a quick run down the road @ 30mph it was still coughing on acceleration and at an even steady pace. I was thinking perhaps a new fuel pump or powered pump in line with the stock pump?
Are the intake/filter and exhaust all bone stock...???

They are jetted lean from the factory...for moderate temps at sea level...specifically they are set to run line at sea level in Southern California...

On this carb the choke is a fuel enrichment circuit...not really a true choke...and the throttle is actually a choke butterfly...

The carb design is intended to automatically self compensate for elevation and temperature...when this style carb was first introduced it was touted as "the next best thing to EFI"....

In reality temperature has a greater effect on a/f than elevation...for whatever reason the carb doesn't seem to self compensate as well for temperature as elevation...

The carb does a much better job on all fronts with high flow air intake...

The 2004 Rhino did not have the snorkel...or the air scoop... that snorkel is highly restrictive...cuts power...carb does not perform as well...

If you carb has never been opened...and you want it start better...run better...but want to keep your stock air box...our mini-jet kit is a good thing to get...

It will allow you to run stock exhaust, stock airbox and lid...with stock filter or a K&N...with or without a stock snorkel...with proper a/f...

And if you simply ditch the snorkel and seal off the air scoop it will have better power...better hole shot...better idle...easier starting...provide you jet it correctly...which is not hard to do...

With our complete jet kit...you will have what you need for any intake, exhaust, motor mods with stock carb...and they are not expensive...

Also if you have one of our basic fuel line kits for the stock fuel pump your system will be more efficient and you will have what you need to be able to tell if you carb is getting fuel...and what the fuel level inside the carb is...so if your pump has a problem you will be able to tell if it's the pump or something else quite easily....

·
Banned
188 Posts
Hi Craig I have a stock 2004 660 that has been extremely cold blooded and I was going to tear the carb down and clean it. But reading your thread it sounds like there are better jet selection to improve its cold blooded mannor as well. Can you tell me for my stock setup what jets to get with your mini kit?

Thanks

~ Phil

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
No problem if you order a complete kit you have all the jets you will ever need period and if you only want a few and not sure which ones order the small kit and then pm me with details of what you have for intake/exhaust elevation and typical ambient temperatures and you will get what you need... :)

The hardest part of jetting a stock carb is getting the oem screws out...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts