Yamaha Rhino Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve got an 06 450 and it won’t start, it was running fine and then I killed it, tried to restart it and all I can hear when I turn the key over is a clicking in a relay, wont attempt to crank over at all, please help!!

·
Registered
373 Posts
I’ve got an 06 450 and it won’t start, it was running fine and then I killed it, tried to restart it and all I can hear when I turn the key over is a clicking in a relay, wont attempt to crank over at all, please help!!
The "clicking" noise you hear is likely your start relay trying to engage but can't due to low battery voltage. Check your battery for good cable connections. Put a voltmeter on it and check voltage. If voltage less than 11.5 volts charge it up. If after charging you get the same clicking action then consider replacing the battery. Once unit is running check voltage at battery again - if not between 12.8 & 13.4 volts you may have a stator problom.

·
Registered
171 Posts
After you check the battery like mentioned by sandbuster and you're still getting a click. The starter relay is probably bad. You can try tapping it with a screwdriver to see if you can free it up. They are cheap to replace if you need to replace it. This video will show you how to replace the starter relay and hopefully your battery doesn't look like this one.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Also note that when a cell starts to go, bad the battery can show good nominal voltage on a meter but does not have deep reserve to deliver heavy amps for the starter current. A load test of the battery will show real condition of the battery.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Also note that when a cell starts to go, bad the battery can show good nominal voltage on a meter but does not have deep reserve to deliver heavy amps for the starter current. A load test of the battery will show real condition of the battery.
Here is a fairly inexpensive battery load tester (100 amp) that can be used on most light duty batteries, especially ATV/UTV and MC batteries:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts