Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve got an 06 450 and it won’t start, it was running fine and then I killed it, tried to restart it and all I can hear when I turn the key over is a clicking in a relay, wont attempt to crank over at all, please help!!

·
Registered
848 Posts
I’ve got an 06 450 and it won’t start, it was running fine and then I killed it, tried to restart it and all I can hear when I turn the key over is a clicking in a relay, wont attempt to crank over at all, please help!!
The "clicking" noise you hear is likely your start relay trying to engage but can't due to low battery voltage. Check your battery for good cable connections. Put a voltmeter on it and check voltage. If voltage less than 11.5 volts charge it up. If after charging you get the same clicking action then consider replacing the battery. Once unit is running check voltage at battery again - if not between 12.8 & 13.4 volts you may have a stator problom.

·
Registered
193 Posts
After you check the battery like mentioned by sandbuster and you're still getting a click. The starter relay is probably bad. You can try tapping it with a screwdriver to see if you can free it up. They are cheap to replace if you need to replace it. This video will show you how to replace the starter relay and hopefully your battery doesn't look like this one.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Also note that when a cell starts to go, bad the battery can show good nominal voltage on a meter but does not have deep reserve to deliver heavy amps for the starter current. A load test of the battery will show real condition of the battery.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Also note that when a cell starts to go, bad the battery can show good nominal voltage on a meter but does not have deep reserve to deliver heavy amps for the starter current. A load test of the battery will show real condition of the battery.
Here is a fairly inexpensive battery load tester (100 amp) that can be used on most light duty batteries, especially ATV/UTV and MC batteries:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The "clicking" noise you hear is likely your start relay trying to engage but can't due to low battery voltage. Check your battery for good cable connections. Put a voltmeter on it and check voltage. If voltage less than 11.5 volts charge it up. If after charging you get the same clicking action then consider replacing the battery. Once unit is running check voltage at battery again - if not between 12.8 & 13.4 volts you may have a stator problom.
I put a new battery and starter solenoid relay in, it ran fine for a couple days, now none of the lights will come on but i can jump across the starter solenoid relay and it will start, otherwise it doesn’t make a noise, nothing, could it be the relay went out again?

·
Registered
848 Posts
I put a new battery and starter solenoid relay in, it ran fine for a couple days, now none of the lights will come on but i can jump across the starter solenoid relay and it will start, otherwise it doesn’t make a noise, nothing, could it be the relay went out again?
My next step, based on what you're saying, would be to charge the battery (like o'night @ 2 amps). Once charged check your battery voltage using a voltmeter (you can buy a cheap digital one for $10 or so). Reading should be somewhere between 12 & 13 volts after charging all night. Write that number down. Now start it up - with it running recheck the battery voltage. Should be around 12.8-13.2 volts with engine running. If it reads the same or less than what you first checked (static voltage) then you likely have a stator problem (it ain't charging the battery- so when the system eats up all your static battery charge, then you're back to the rattling relay.. At this point you probably should download a manual, or get a mechanic friend to help you out.

·
Registered
534 Posts
If you got an OEM relay you can have confidence in that. If a china knockoff, then I would be reading your switch voltage to the actuator side of the relay and checking the grounding of the actuator side of the relay. If you get voltage to the relay when you turn the switch to start and ground is good to battery then relay in not actuating the internal magnet to close the contacts to the starter. If no voltage then check the ignition switch on the temporary contact side for the starter that goes to the relay. Not a bad idea to use an alligator clip wire to ground the relay all the way to battery to check the switch so you know the grounding is good. Bad grounds can be intermittent and drive you crazy sometimes.

·
Registered
2 Posts
did you ever figure out the problem? I am having the same issue

·
Registered
534 Posts
check your grounds first

1 - 10 of 10 Posts