Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 04 rhino that I've made a 686. I used the stock cam and exhaust. I did jet the carb but it is still flat. I've heard that I need to upgrade to the 41mm fcr and a muzzy dual setup. I used 10-1 piston. Im not opposed to changing the cam out also.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Which pipe to use Dmc two bros big gun muzzy. I'd like it to be quiet.

·
Registered
6,996 Posts
Here's my experience with Exhausts

1 Buddy had the DMC duals and they both broke several times on the mount to the frame.

Another buddy has the Big Guns and they keep falling part where the head pipe goes into the can. He had to have it rewelded several times.

Another buddy has the Two Bros and has not had any issues besides the fact the are loud.

I had the Muzzy's before switching over to my R1 motor and they were very solid. Had them for 3 years without a single issue. And they are aas quiet as you can expect out of an aftermarket exhaust.

I agree with court. Change out the cam, add exhaust and go with either the FCR41 or HSR45 carb. Good performance gains right there.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input. I think ill go with the muzzy pipe also. Which cam to go with? Which fcr 41 to go with? How would you jet it? Thanks in advance guys.

·
Registered
6,996 Posts
I went with the Web Cam stage 3, the Mikuni HSR45 and bought a air/fuel monitor setup. Having it helped me dial in the carb perfectly.

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
Muzzy pipe hands down. The woods pipe is well built and bulletproof as well, but very loud. I've used hot cams stage 2 and 3 and a couple different web grinds. All work very well just made power at different rpm. Also I've run the MIKUNI 42,45 and 48. All worked well. With the stage 2 cams I think the 42 was plenty. With the stage 3 the 45 and 48 work well. Higher rpm with them. All of the MIKUNI carbs were a pain to jet and get all areas of throttle position right. But eventually with an air fuel meter they all worked well.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Man that sounds great on the muzzy. Thanks for the input. I think i'll buy a muzzy pipe and rejet the carb. Then buy a cam and get the head worked. Then do a carb. What jets and or jet kit to get the most out of my stock carb? Where should I start for maximum fuel out of the stock carb?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I jetted up as hi as I could with the dynojet kit 175 and changed to a 50 pilot jet. seems better. Ordered my muzzy today. I have upgraded the intake. I also have a big gun cdi box I bought years ago when the rhino was new that came off of a grizzly. Do you guys think I should change that out?

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Before you change your cdi determine who the manufacturer it is... if it works fine and you are happy with it why change...if it is procomm and/or you are having problems you can do better...if you want to switch CDI and still have the stock CDI we sell the MSD 4240 that works with the stock CDI for $109 shipped...

The first thing you should do is put the stock needle and slide spring back in...

The jet kit you bought has a much leaner needle making the problem of too small a (stock size 40) pilot jet even worse...and thus requiring a bigger main jet to compensate for it...additionally, the jets have larger numbers compared to mikuni making it "appear" that a much bigger main jet was actually needed when it wasn't...you did the right thing by installing a 50 pilot jet...you need to make sure you have the idle a/f set right...The dynojet 175 is approximately equal to a Mikuni 167.5 and way too big for a motor with stock exhaust...the biggest main jet I put in our kits is a 170...not because its needed very often...but the only correct way to tune a carb is to start with a jet that is bigger than the ideal one...the biggest one a customer of mine has reported using correctly with an a/f gauge is 167.5... that is with our best intake and a good header...and that is unusually high...my last 686 which was quite fast with stock carb used a 162.5... after intake/exhaust the next biggest factors are elevation and temperature...compression, cam, porting have very small effects on jetting...

The 26cc and small increase in compression is good...especially if motor needed top end...but not a large increase in power by itself at all...

The intake/exhaust are the primary factors in needing bigger jets...

I would go for a ported head with oversize valves before I would get a flat slide carb...and if I were you I would have a bung welded into the exhaust prior to installing it and get a wide-band a/f gauge...tune it up for max power with stock carb...then get a flat slide carb if you still want spend/do more...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Reading the plug is why I went to the big jet. I'm sure it could be due to the style of riding I do most flat out trail riding mostly over 40 mph. I have the upgraded fuel pump. I have a buddy who sand drags raptors that told me I need to get my head ported and change the cam. I want to stay up with my buddies rzr800.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have a updated sheave for speed but have never updated the clutching itself. What is a good clutch kit setup to start with?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I ordered my new jbs hot rod sheave. Who does some good port work on here? I'm needing to change the cam out may as well get the head cleaned up and valves checked. I'm wanting to make my 686 stay with the rsr 800.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Loving my muzzy duals. Ready to change cam and get head ported though.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Benchmark or rage for the porting. Stage 2 cam for trails, 3 for duning.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts