Yamaha Rhino Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad is looking at putting some money in his 660. He wants to put a big bore kit on & also a cam. The big bore kit were looking at comes with a carb so its already got the jets set. My question is with getting a cam, would we still have to change the jet in the new carb that comes with the big bore.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure. Whatever comes on the stock 04 rhino 660. the big bore kit he is buying comes with a new carb thats already had the jets changed out for the bigger piston. That way we dont have to pull the stock one apart and change the jest and adjust them until its right

·
Engineer
8,211 Posts
Must be a stock carburetor. I'd buy a kit that didn't have a carburetor and add an HSR42/45 instead. The stock carburetor is terrible.

I'd message Camshaw on here and ask for some advice. He builds a lot of 660 engines with big bore kits.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so to throw a curve ball. the rhino has a blown engine. they guy he is getting from has a grizzle 660 motor to go back in it which I believe will work. The difference we discovered is the cam is at the bottom of the motor instead of overhead. How much different is it to work on that motor? I believe instead of a big bore he is looking to change out the cam and do some clutch work. I cant seem to find any service manuals on the grizzle 660 motor with the cam at the bottom of the motor.

thanks,

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so to throw a curve ball. the rhino has a blown engine. they guy he is getting from has a grizzle 660 motor to go back in it which I believe will work. The difference we discovered is the cam is at the bottom of the motor instead of overhead. How much different is it to work on that motor? I believe instead of a big bore he is looking to change out the cam and do some clutch work. I cant seem to find any service manuals on the grizzle 660 motor with the cam at the bottom of the motor.

thanks,
I'm not sure that I believe the cam is on the bottom because everything I find online is overhead cam.

·
Registered
3,650 Posts

thanks,
I'm not sure that I believe the cam is on the bottom because everything I find online is overhead cam.
You are quite right. The days of the pushrod operated valves in motorcycle engines is long gone. Yamaha might have had some small displacement ones in the 1960's or so, along with Honda. However, back then Yamaha was very much 2 stroke engines. Harley is the only one that I am aware that kept the design for so long.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts