Can't get past 30 mph!! - Yamaha Rhino Forum - Rhino Forums.net
General Rhino Discussion For General Rhino Discussion

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-18-2018, 09:10 AM Thread Starter
Hog Chaser
 
Mike_Rom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Eagle Mountain, Utah
Posts: 58
Garage
Can't get past 30 mph!!

Hey everyone,

I took my family out for a ride on the trails by our new house. While we had a lot of fun, I was very aggravated and annoyed with the fact that I could not get the Rhino past 30 mph. I do have a 2 inch lift with 27's on it, but I also have a BlackRhino CDI. At around 30 mph, it felt like RPM was pretty high. Also, at the higher speeds, the engine sounded smooth but I could hear the exhaust almost "popping" every once in a while. I have done a few things to the Rhino since purchase like new exhaust, new fuel pump and fuel filter, new ignition coil, new air filter, new spark plug.....I also have a brand new carburetor that I am installing this week.

Any feedback as to what is causing this issue? I figured I should be hitting at LEAST 35-40 with out major issue. I don't need something super fast but I want to be able to go 40 reliably and without the Rhino sounding like it is going to blow up. Thanks in advance.
Mike_Rom is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-18-2018, 09:41 AM
Mountaineer
 
sandbuster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Florida
Posts: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Rom View Post
Hey everyone,

I took my family out for a ride on the trails by our new house. While we had a lot of fun, I was very aggravated and annoyed with the fact that I could not get the Rhino past 30 mph. I do have a 2 inch lift with 27's on it, but I also have a BlackRhino CDI. At around 30 mph, it felt like RPM was pretty high. Also, at the higher speeds, the engine sounded smooth but I could hear the exhaust almost "popping" every once in a while. I have done a few things to the Rhino since purchase like new exhaust, new fuel pump and fuel filter, new ignition coil, new air filter, new spark plug.....I also have a brand new carburetor that I am installing this week.

Any feedback as to what is causing this issue? I figured I should be hitting at LEAST 35-40 with out major issue. I don't need something super fast but I want to be able to go 40 reliably and without the Rhino sounding like it is going to blow up. Thanks in advance.

When you were on your family outing did you happen to go "submerged"? I very accidently ended up in a hidden hole years ago getting the sheave totally drowned out in water. Belt slipped so bad I couldn't get any speed out of it till I removed covered and dried it out. OR, maybe that new fuel filter is restricted causing the motor to run too lean which may cause the "popping" you're hearing. Toughest thing to diagnose is failure of a new part, as that's the last thing one would suspect.
sandbuster is offline  
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-18-2018, 09:45 AM Thread Starter
Hog Chaser
 
Mike_Rom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Eagle Mountain, Utah
Posts: 58
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandbuster View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Rom View Post
Hey everyone,

I took my family out for a ride on the trails by our new house. While we had a lot of fun, I was very aggravated and annoyed with the fact that I could not get the Rhino past 30 mph. I do have a 2 inch lift with 27's on it, but I also have a BlackRhino CDI. At around 30 mph, it felt like RPM was pretty high. Also, at the higher speeds, the engine sounded smooth but I could hear the exhaust almost "popping" every once in a while. I have done a few things to the Rhino since purchase like new exhaust, new fuel pump and fuel filter, new ignition coil, new air filter, new spark plug.....I also have a brand new carburetor that I am installing this week.

Any feedback as to what is causing this issue? I figured I should be hitting at LEAST 35-40 with out major issue. I don't need something super fast but I want to be able to go 40 reliably and without the Rhino sounding like it is going to blow up. Thanks in advance.

When you were on your family outing did you happen to go "submerged"? I very accidently ended up in a hidden hole years ago getting the sheave totally drowned out in water. Belt slipped so bad I couldn't get any speed out of it till I removed covered and dried it out. OR, maybe that new fuel filter is restricted causing the motor to run too lean which may cause the "popping" you're hearing. Toughest thing to diagnose is failure of a new part, as that's the last thing one would suspect.
Never saw any water. What you said about the fuel filter could be true and I will look into that tonight along with replacing the carburetor. Thanks
Mike_Rom is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-19-2018, 04:41 AM
Official Site Vendor
 
Hunterworks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 3,401
Are you hitting the rev limiter on the CDI box?

Have you looked into the clutch to see if you have something going on in there?
Hunterworks is offline  
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-19-2018, 08:46 AM Thread Starter
Hog Chaser
 
Mike_Rom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Eagle Mountain, Utah
Posts: 58
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunterworks View Post
Are you hitting the rev limiter on the CDI box?

Have you looked into the clutch to see if you have something going on in there?
I have not, but that is a very good suggestion!
Mike_Rom is offline  
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-19-2018, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
Hog Chaser
 
Mike_Rom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Eagle Mountain, Utah
Posts: 58
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunterworks View Post
Are you hitting the rev limiter on the CDI box?

Have you looked into the clutch to see if you have something going on in there?
Todd, I am looking at your stuff on your website. I think I am going to save up and purchase the "Power Pak" but am still very nervous about the install. Your videos are extremely helpful....but still nervous about it and don't want to mess anything up.
Mike_Rom is offline  
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-28-2018, 11:47 AM
Paper Boy
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 15
Garage
its a common thing for rhinos to only go 30 mph when the primary clutch has not been serviced. the grease hardens and does not allow the weights to be fully thrown out for higher speed. i use Bel Ray grease to service the clutches. also you can use Yamalube. There are videos to show hot to do the maintenance.
wreckingball81 is offline  
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-28-2018, 01:03 PM Thread Starter
Hog Chaser
 
Mike_Rom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Eagle Mountain, Utah
Posts: 58
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wreckingball81 View Post
its a common thing for rhinos to only go 30 mph when the primary clutch has not been serviced. the grease hardens and does not allow the weights to be fully thrown out for higher speed. i use Bel Ray grease to service the clutches. also you can use Yamalube. There are videos to show hot to do the maintenance.
I really appreciate that, thank you!!
Mike_Rom is offline  
Reply

  Lower Navigation
Go Back   Yamaha Rhino Forum - Rhino Forums.net > General Rhino > General Rhino Discussion

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha Rhino Forum - Rhino Forums.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome