Yamaha Rhino Forum banner

Wolverine anyone?

7K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  junkyardwarrior 
#1 ·
So the Rhino is my first side by side and I have found out it has certain weaknesses that other SxS's don't (and vice versa) and here's what I know:

The Rhino has a weak middle drive gear support
The Rhino is slow
The Rhino has no power

You can fix all of these things for around 2,500. And it still won't keep up with a Viking or Wolverine.

So, not to dog on the Rhino BUT what weaknesses have been found in the viking and wolverine? Because I really want to pull the trigger and pick up a brand new Wolverine and toss on some 30" terminators and go wild but if its based on the same internal design as the Rhino, I know I will be snapping the middle drive gear plate (which sucks if it happens to you!) and after dropping 15K on a fresh Wolverine, that would be a kick in the teeth.

Anyone heard any bad about the Wolvy?

#3 ·
Every form of refuge has it's price.

The Viking is a big turd no matter how you slice it. The Wolverine is a great vehicle after you add a few things like a powercommander, my fuel mapping and the Hunterwork's sheave kit. The twins have issues too. I'm content with my Rhino.

#5 · (Edited)
tyrex 2 800 would be what i would buy if i wanted new, they have the same or more bed space, the bed still tilts, it has a bunch of storage between the bed and seats that would fit something like a chainsaw or all unlike anything yamaha makes anymore, plus the power and sound is way better too. saw a black base 2015 last friday for 9500 too, the kawis are all on sale right now few thousand off and 0 percent. also unlike yamaha.

#8 ·
Sorry, I moved and just NOW got some internet (thanks Buffalo Wild Wings!) and anywho...

so if im gonna drop some 5 digit coin on a sxs, what should I get? Im not opposed to Kawi, (own a few already, this Rhino is ACTUALLY my first Yami besides my R1) Can Ham, and Polaris.

Honestly, I used to work for a polaris dealership about 10 years ago and the fact that they came out with the RZR is mindblowing. Its such a revolution considering the stupid **** I've seen come out of Polaris.

If the Teryx is the tits, thats what I'll get. I will go ahead and finish out this Rhino nicely before turning it over to whoever wants it (and yeah, im gonna break it in and have some fun before I cut her loose :)

#9 ·
the only people polaris is good for is the dealer its job security, lol.

my prairie has a ton of hard miles, i beat the snot out of it for 12 years and it always got me home.

i would love to buy that teryx myself, but i just bought a new quad and the rhino is still working so maybe in a few years when you can get a used one

#10 ·
I think until the economy picks up I'll just stick with the Rhino. I'm only in it 1,500 total with a brand new engine and middle drive gear plate and other fun upgrades.

When the time comes, I will switch to the Teryx. Plus, I've heard rumors that Kawasaki is going to put a 3 cylinder in the Teryx. THAT would be AWESOME.

#11 ·
would be fun to ride, like the 1000r, but would never buy one. most of the trails around here are cut out of hedge rows and quad trails on the woods, even my 50ish inch rhino has trouble and scrapes the trees all the time, certainly wouldn't spend 15k on something that is going to rub trees all the time. there is one at each of the local yamaha dealers you can see they started at msrp, think they are both down to about 15 now after being there quite a while.

i actually use mine for a utility, do wood (rhino has the tipping bed but no place for a saw or straps and winch and stuff), no room for big boots, wolverine doesnt dump, foot space is worse, the clutch i am finding out is expensive and a bad design, you dont need the wet clutch or grease it all just attracts mud. kawi uses a snowmobile type, there is no one way bearing, no grease(greaseless fittings on whole bike). had it in mud up to the racks a billion times and never had any clutch issues. the teryx has a ton of space, dump bed, not much wider then the rhino. only thing that yamaha does better is the front diff, but with decent tires i never use the locker anyway. that was the problem with my prairie the cable seized from not being used and you could use it when you needed it. pretty rare that you need it so not that big a deal

#13 ·
rzr's are constantly broke, what good is a million hp if you cant use it because its in the shop again. the kawis are bulletproof, they hold the power they have, thats alot more important. also alot less work with no grease fitting to collect the mud and dust, best clutch setup, tougher in alot of ways

#15 ·
your right, seems stupid the kawi atvs dont have one, they are not necessary at all, i dont know why anyone would put extra crap in to wear out and fail.

the engine braking is provided by the clutches solely over about 5mph then there is an actuator below that pushes on the primary, seems to last. the only thing i ever had to replace in the whole system was the bearing the actuator pushes on, once, had a ton of hard miles and none of the electrics failed.

really no advantage in getting the kawi over my rhino if it has the wet clutch too, other things are pretty minor

#17 ·
i really like my rhino, i wish it had efi and bigger and easier storage for my saw and the gas and oil. the spot under the seat is a pain, you have to do something with the heavy seat, they should have made it hinge forward. the t2 has a ton between the seats and bed and you can leave the bed clear for wood or whatever. just seams like the rhino was made by someone who didnt use it and the t2 was

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.