Checking oil - Yamaha Rhino Forum - Rhino Forums.net
General Rhino Discussion For General Rhino Discussion

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-15-2011, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
Weekender
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 124
Checking oil

Check after sitting a few hours and reads in safety zone on dipstick. I ran it for about a min or less and waited for 12 min and nothing on dipstick. Why. Am I not getting oil hot enough to drain down.
Azonie is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-16-2011, 06:19 AM
Legendary
 
dbestduner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Apple Valley, CA
Posts: 5,892
your low on oil.

after hours of sitting all the oil from the motor drains to the pan where the dip stick is. if you start it up and let idle for about 3-5 min shut it off then check it, it should read full.


if not your low on oil

💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩
dbestduner is offline  
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-16-2011, 07:58 AM
Black Magic
 
nolids's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Williamson Valley, Prescott, AZ
Posts: 1,194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azonie View Post
Check after sitting a few hours and reads in safety zone on dipstick. I ran it for about a min or less and waited for 12 min and nothing on dipstick. Why. Am I not getting oil hot enough to drain down.
"after sitting a few hours..." are you wiping the dipstick before you stick it back in?
nolids is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-16-2011, 08:24 AM Thread Starter
Weekender
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by nolids View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azonie View Post
Check after sitting a few hours and reads in safety zone on dipstick. I ran it for about a min or less and waited for 12 min and nothing on dipstick. Why. Am I not getting oil hot enough to drain down.
"after sitting a few hours..." are you wiping the dipstick before you stick it back in?
Yes but if I only idle for about a min do you think it could be the oil didn't warm up (get thinner) therefore takes longer to drain back down.
Azonie is offline  
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-16-2011, 08:26 AM Thread Starter
Weekender
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbestduner View Post
your low on oil.

after hours of sitting all the oil from the motor drains to the pan where the dip stick is. if you start it up and let idle for about 3-5 min shut it off then check it, it should read full.


if not your low on oil
Think the diff is you said to idle 3 - 5 min. I only ran less than a min. So maybe oil didn't reach operating temp and therefore thicker and takes time to drain back down.
Azonie is offline  
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-16-2011, 08:28 AM
Legendary
 
dbestduner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Apple Valley, CA
Posts: 5,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azonie View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbestduner View Post
your low on oil.

after hours of sitting all the oil from the motor drains to the pan where the dip stick is. if you start it up and let idle for about 3-5 min shut it off then check it, it should read full.


if not your low on oil
Think the diff is you said to idle 3 - 5 min. I only ran less than a min. So maybe oil didn't reach operating temp and therefore thicker and takes time to drain back down.
give it a shot

💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩
dbestduner is offline  
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-16-2011, 08:36 AM
Boss
 
RuttingRhino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Tempe, AZ
Posts: 3,239
That is probably it...if you run up to full operating temperature and let sit for 12 minutes the difference between that and stone cold should be almost zero...

What oil is in it...

Always make sure it is to the top mark on the stick before every ride...no exceptions...

The thing only holds two quarts... a lot of that is held in the oil lines/cooler/filter...

The parts that need oil the most get the least and rely on splash from the sump in the crank case...that would be the piston/rod/wrist pin...the oiling to the factory parts is piss-poor under ideal conditions...it is the weak link...and failure usually leaves you with a pile of scrap metal not worth re-building...

That is why I like the 5w-40 synthetic... it does not have to warm up to flow... and can stand more heat...

We are closed...2013
RuttingRhino is offline  
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-16-2011, 09:31 AM Thread Starter
Weekender
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuttingRhino View Post
That is probably it...if you run up to full operating temperature and let sit for 12 minutes the difference between that and stone cold should be almost zero...

What oil is in it...

Always make sure it is to the top mark on the stick before every ride...no exceptions...

The thing only holds two quarts... a lot of that is held in the oil lines/cooler/filter...

The parts that need oil the most get the least and rely on splash from the sump in the crank case...that would be the piston/rod/wrist pin...the oiling to the factory parts is piss-poor under ideal conditions...it is the weak link...and failure usually leaves you with a pile of scrap metal not worth re-building...

That is why I like the 5w-40 synthetic... it does not have to warm up to flow... and can stand more heat...
I am using the Yamaha 10 - 40
Azonie is offline  
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 03:45 PM Thread Starter
Weekender
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 124
Sounds like everyone is saying if you check with engine cold and not up to TOP or FULL mark on dipstick I should add oil?
My only concern with that is I don't want to get it over full and blow gaskets.
Shouldn't it be safe anywhere in the marked range on dipstick??
Azonie is offline  
Reply

  Lower Navigation
Go Back   Yamaha Rhino Forum - Rhino Forums.net > General Rhino > General Rhino Discussion

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha Rhino Forum - Rhino Forums.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome