450 Sheave & Clutch Kit - Yamaha Rhino Forum - Rhino Forums.net
Engine For discussion of engine performance, and maintenance

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 05:05 AM Thread Starter
Speed Demon
 
KentT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: East Tennessee
Posts: 562
450 Sheave & Clutch Kit

I just bit the bullet and ordered the UTV Crap 450 sheave and a clutch kit with 12 gram weights and blue EPI spring. The sheave price of $69 (after refund of core charge) was just too enticing...

I'm rationalizing it by saying the savings on the sheave offset the cost of the clutch kit...

I figured that if I'm going to do any more performance mods down the road that this would set the base foundation for doing so. If nothing else, I'd like to get back what I've lost in performance with all the weight I've added, especially my big, heavy 26" Bighorns on ITP Delta steel wheels...

I'm still trying to decide if I use all 12-gram weights or just replace every other one...

Since this thing's engine is bone stock with less than 50 hours -- not even jet work, after snorkeling up under the hood -- I'm not sure if all 12-gram weights might be too much...

Any 450 owners out there running a similar clutch setup? How do you think this might perform, in comparison to the original setup?

Should I replace just every other weight, or use all 12-gram ones as a starting point?

There's just not a lot of good 450 info out there...

KentT is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 08:22 AM
Premium Member
 
Dirtysidedown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Surprise
Posts: 9,571
You will be good using all the weights. I wouldn't mind getting my hands on a 450 for some testing of various mods, if anyone has one near Surprise,AZ let me know!

If you voted for Obama to prove you are not racist- Who are you going to vote for to prove you are not an idiot?
Dirtysidedown is offline  
post #3 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-02-2009, 05:18 AM Thread Starter
Speed Demon
 
KentT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: East Tennessee
Posts: 562
Thanks! I think I'll start with all 12-gram weights and try it to see if it runs too high of RPM in normal trail riding. Meanwhile, it'll be interesting to see if it lives up to this marketing claim:
INCREASE YOUR BOTTOM AND TOP END ON YOUR 450 YAMAHA RHINO WITH THIS BRAND NEW MACHINED CLUTCH SHEAVE FROM UTV CRAP

UTV Crap

Or, is this claim only applicable to brand-new sheaves, not "used, machined sheaves."

As I understand the clutch mechanism, the only way to increase bottom end would be to machine the area where the weight rollers are "parked" when they aren't being slung out by centrifugal force.

It's really that bottom end and midrange that I'm looking to improve, since I seldom ride anywhere where top end is an issue. The only "wide-open" spaces to run wide open here would be on backroads, which we try to avoid for obvious reasons, since they're not street legal here...

I considered just an inexpensive and simple "shim mod" but didn't want to risk the retaining nut backing off and damaging things. I understand some folks are putting 1mm, 1.5 mm or 2mm shims in there -- but I've also heard of primary sheaves coming loose...


Last edited by KentT; 10-02-2009 at 09:20 AM.
KentT is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-03-2009, 06:35 PM
Turbo
 
'04limited's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: buckeye, AZ
Posts: 360
hey steve im still down to let you do some testing out on my 450, i still never got my clutch weights all dialed in, havent been around here for a while but i will be from now on hit me up if your still interested. Tom
'04limited is offline  
post #5 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-03-2009, 06:39 PM
Premium Member
 
Dirtysidedown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Surprise
Posts: 9,571
Quote:
Originally Posted by KentT View Post
Thanks! I think I'll start with all 12-gram weights and try it to see if it runs too high of RPM in normal trail riding. Meanwhile, it'll be interesting to see if it lives up to this marketing claim:
INCREASE YOUR BOTTOM AND TOP END ON YOUR 450 YAMAHA RHINO WITH THIS BRAND NEW MACHINED CLUTCH SHEAVE FROM UTV CRAP

UTV Crap

Or, is this claim only applicable to brand-new sheaves, not "used, machined sheaves."

As I understand the clutch mechanism, the only way to increase bottom end would be to machine the area where the weight rollers are "parked" when they aren't being slung out by centrifugal force.

It's really that bottom end and midrange that I'm looking to improve, since I seldom ride anywhere where top end is an issue. The only "wide-open" spaces to run wide open here would be on backroads, which we try to avoid for obvious reasons, since they're not street legal here...

I considered just an inexpensive and simple "shim mod" but didn't want to risk the retaining nut backing off and damaging things. I understand some folks are putting 1mm, 1.5 mm or 2mm shims in there -- but I've also heard of primary sheaves coming loose...
We also machine the inner hub side of the sheave so the rollers will start out lower in the sheave. If you need any help getting it set up let me know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by '04limited View Post
hey steve im still down to let you do some testing out on my 450, i still never got my clutch weights all dialed in, havent been around here for a while but i will be from now on hit me up if your still interested. Tom

Where have you been hiding Tom? Anytime you want to drop of your 450 let me know and I will make room in my garage for it. I was thinking jetting,clutching and maybe some super secret stuff if your up for it.

If you voted for Obama to prove you are not racist- Who are you going to vote for to prove you are not an idiot?
Dirtysidedown is offline  
post #6 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-03-2009, 08:01 PM
Turbo
 
'04limited's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: buckeye, AZ
Posts: 360
Quote:
Where have you been hiding Tom? Anytime you want to drop of your 450 let me know and I will make room in my garage for it. I was thinking jetting,clutching and maybe some super secret stuff if your up for it.
just been super busy man the wife had a kid and works been hectic but i will get with you soon, dune season is coming up real soon!
'04limited is offline  
post #7 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-03-2009, 08:04 PM
Premium Member
 
Dirtysidedown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Surprise
Posts: 9,571
Don't you mean you both had a kid? lol Congrats!

If you voted for Obama to prove you are not racist- Who are you going to vote for to prove you are not an idiot?
Dirtysidedown is offline  
post #8 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 12:18 PM
Slow Poke
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Harvard, ID
Posts: 39
Finally a topic on a 450! I was beginning to think i owned the only one on here...

This is very helpful info as i have been wanting to do something with the clutch to get a little more bottom and mid range power but typically only find what people have done with 660's and 700's.

If you dont mind, i have a few more in depth questions regarding this clutch mod.... first, exactly which parts (part number from UTV Crap) did you purchase, and how difficult of mechanic job is this to undertake?

I am in the same boat where i need more bottom to mid power for trails and not really too concerned with more top speed at this point.

Thanks!
ShortRider is offline  
post #9 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 12:33 PM
Oil Spot
 
97ZJDaily's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 29
Keep the info coming! I am in the market for alittle more performance.

07 Yamaha Rhino - 2" HL lift - Wheel spacers - BRP rear diff brace - FMF Exhaust - K&N with outerware - Autometer Volt Guage - 14" ITP 112's with 27" Mud Lite XTR's - Full Bore body - J-Strong overhead radio and lighting

97 Grand Cherokee Limited - 318ci - around a 4.5 inch lift - KOR Radiator support/Toe Pointz - KOR Steering Brace - KOR Steering Stabilizer - 32/11.50/15 Mud terrain KM2's - JKS Quick Disconnects - Edelbrock Extreme IAS Shocks - HID's
97ZJDaily is offline  
post #10 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 08:29 PM
Puddle Jumper
 
Cowboy Rhino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: CA
Posts: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortRider View Post
Finally a topic on a 450! I was beginning to think i owned the only one on here...

This is very helpful info as i have been wanting to do something with the clutch to get a little more bottom and mid range power but typically only find what people have done with 660's and 700's.

If you dont mind, i have a few more in depth questions regarding this clutch mod.... first, exactly which parts (part number from UTV Crap) did you purchase, and how difficult of mechanic job is this to undertake?

I am in the same boat where i need more bottom to mid power for trails and not really too concerned with more top speed at this point.

Thanks!

X2
Cowboy Rhino is offline  
post #11 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-07-2009, 05:56 AM Thread Starter
Speed Demon
 
KentT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: East Tennessee
Posts: 562
Just received them, so I have part numbers:

04-07 450 Rhino CLutch Sheave, Machined Sheave - Half + Core, Part #1032
UTV Crap 450 Duner Clutch Kit, Part #1473

I won't get them installed until sometime next week. I have a 60 mile ride planned with the club for this Sunday, and I don't want to (a) try to get everything done before then, and (b) use that long of a ride as the first real test-drive.

I'll report back with my impressions once I get them installed.


Last edited by KentT; 10-07-2009 at 08:37 AM.
KentT is offline  
post #12 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-07-2009, 09:43 AM
Slow Poke
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Harvard, ID
Posts: 39
Thanks a ton for the info. I look forward to your report as i think i will be ordering the same goods from UTV Crap once i hear back from you.
ShortRider is offline  
post #13 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-07-2009, 10:04 AM
Official Site Vendor
 
UTV Inc.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Arizona
Posts: 9,610
We just installed a sheave half (utv crap #1032) only on a 450.

This car had a top speed of 37-38 mph depending on how long of a road you got on.

Stock cdi. Stock weights. Stock secondary spring. Itp 12" wheels. 25" maxxis tires (not stock). Stock cage. No other mods other than the sheave.

Seat of the pants felt a little increase in the pull from 0-30 and then pulled out to a top speed of 42 mph.

So this 450 at the shop we saw an increase of boittom end pull (seat of the pants), and a 5 mph top end increase.

Just one we did today, thought id post something up.

UTV Inc. is offline  
post #14 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-07-2009, 11:48 AM Thread Starter
Speed Demon
 
KentT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: East Tennessee
Posts: 562
Nick, were those speeds measured by GPS or the Digidash? Just curious...

KentT is offline  
post #15 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-07-2009, 11:53 AM
Official Site Vendor
 
UTV Inc.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Arizona
Posts: 9,610
DIGIDASH.

UTV Inc. is offline  
Reply

  Lower Navigation
Go Back   Yamaha Rhino Forum - Rhino Forums.net > Technical > Engine

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha Rhino Forum - Rhino Forums.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome