Yamaha Rhino Forum banner

Starter Relay Year Model Differences??

7K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  crazyazsredneck 
#1 ·
My starter relay is headed out on my '06 Rhino 660.

I was looking to get another one when I see they have changed over the years... but look very similar at a glance.

I was wondering if the newer one might be of some advantage over the older one? I might would try and retrofit mine with the newer solenoid if it were better..... like sealed better... or better design... etc.

How many of you guys have had trouble with yours?

Mine has been clicking from time to time when I try and crank it..... sometimes it would click... and the starter woundn't turn.... you release the key and hit it again.... it would fire right up.... spinning over fast as normal. Now it just clicks like the relay is switching.... but the starter says nothing.... you can jump the solenoid out by shorting across the two large poles... rhino cranks right up....

Any thoughts?

#5 ·
I have an 06 Rhino 450 and it was having trouble starting. The engine would start to turn, sound like it was struggling (silence) then turn over. My battery has been losing its charge, but I could charge it and get the rhino to start normally. Went in the garage last night and now all I get is a bunch of rapid clicks from the starter relay. I may have been doing it wrong, but I tried to short it with the pliers, and still it will not start. Only 82 hours on the rhino. Suggestions?

#8 ·
u need to charge the battery with a battery charger first and get it back to 12 v. the maintainer my be bad or in my case was unplug by the gremlin that hides in my shop hahahhahhah

#9 ·
Well, I charge it until it says Fully Charged. However, after I try turning the key maybe 3 times and the click click click click, the display starts to fade and I loose power. Can the battery amperage being too low (due to battery failure) cause the relay to just click and not actually start the Rhino?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.