Yamaha Rhino Forum banner

road legal tires

15K views 28 replies 13 participants last post by  ut rhino 
#1 ·
im looking for new tires and want so the i can use on the road and in the dirt. i might make it street legal. any help and were to get them

#2 ·
General Tire has a 27" DOT tire that will fit on a 14" Rim. You might be able to find some used BFG all terrains still, but that tire is discontinued. I think Super Swamper has some that are legal too. No matter what, your looking at a 14" rim though.

#4 ·
Do they have to be DOT approved? My next tire after seeing them in action in sand, snow, mud and rock is the ITP Ultracross. They sit like a truck tire and protect the rims. One of the Razors in the group runs them and we all have digs in our rims but him, he is the first to try anything too.

#5 ·
they do technically have to be Dot legal.

They dont look as cool as real ATV/UTV tires, but if you search for BFGs, Im sure youll find a few pics on here of them. Quite a few people use them. The Super swampers will be the most like a UTV tire. The other too are all terrain type truck tires.

#7 ·
what do you have now?

No matter what tire, the rear will tear up grass when you turn due to the solid rear end.

A radial, like the Maxxis Bighorns, will ride way smoother than a Non radial. but wont be technically street legal. If you dont HAVE to have DOT tires in your area, I would just do a Radial UTV tire.

#11 ·
The tires I am running now are Motosport Alloys MotoGrips they are a 6 ply DOT approved Radial design and look a lot like a offroad truck tire. I must say these tires have really surprised me as to how well they ride on road and how well they dig offroad, I have had them in everything from mud to slick hills and hollars and they have worked great in everything but the gummy mud. The only problem in the gummy mud is they will not rev-up and clean out like a designed mud tire.

Here is a few pictures.

#14 ·
The tires I am running now are Motosport Alloys MotoGrips they are a 6 ply DOT approved Radial design and look a lot like a offroad truck tire. I must say these tires have really surprised me as to how well they ride on road and how well they dig offroad, I have had them in everything from mud to slick hills and hollars and they have worked great in everything but the gummy mud. The only problem in the gummy mud is they will not rev-up and clean out like a designed mud tire.

Here is a few pictures.

were did you order them through. also did you go with the same size on the front as rear? thanks

#13 ·
Hi, (and sorry for so many posts today, but I'm planning on buying SEVERAL options Friday, and I need to make several decisions before!) I just bought an 09 700, and I definately plan on going street-legal here in S. MS. Yamaha11... thanks for this thread!!! You're touching on what I've been wondering all week!
I have numerous things eating at my head! I want a cool Rhino to take on the main trails and run around the small town where I live (I'm thinking Mardi Gras parades!)

1st - I wanna go with as tall of a tire as possible (would love 28's.) But from what I'm reading if I wanna reach 50+ after engine mods I should not go any larger than 27". What do you guys think?
2nd - I wanna go with the street tires for various reasons. One, I can balance them. My 29.5's on my Brute dance on pavement over 45 MPH... though Outlaws are NOT a street tire! Balanced tires (I think) would make street travel easier. Next, everyone knows quad tires get ate up fast on the street... I'm thinking then why not use truck/suv tires designed for 40K plus!
3rd - I want to go with the same size tires all the way around (with as much of a deep-dish/offset as possible to lower center of gravity.) How would you guys recommend doing this where I could use the same 4 rims/tires, and have them stuck out as far as possible and still be even?

Yamaha, as for tires... Interco makes a 28" Super Swamper (TSL) for a 14" rim. They also make a SSR in 27" (both 9.5W) for 14" & 15" rim. Several vendors make 15" rims now.

And thanks to everyone for their help. your advice from trial and error saves us new to the UTV segment lots of aspirin & overtime for wasted mods! Thanks again!

James

#20 ·
would you check? I would think it would need to be on the tire... In case of citation: an officer is not going to know unless he is able to read it on the tire. I checked their website and they sell all tire for 12" rims just do not know if they are DOT. Maybe your model is specific is this? Anyhow I appreciate you looking.

#26 ·
Mud-and-Guts,

Nice tires/rims! Any idea what they weigh per each corner?

Tx!

RH

#29 ·
Here is some pics of the tires that I just bought and the are street legal. But you will have to buy new rims too. And they should be a good all around tire I think.

Travis

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.