Yamaha Rhino Forum banner

Window nets? How to fit?

6K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Brian B 
#1 ·
I'm getting ready to order custom nets from PRP. I'm a little confused as to how to fit them. I would like them to fit the whole opening but dont want them to fit too loose. What would you suggest? Adding another support bar is not out of the question. In fact I believe it's mandatory for some racing organizations?

I was thinking the nets should fit within an inch of the cage tubes?

Also, I talked to XMF and they're saying the organizations are requiring an automotive style buck now. Does anyone sell those hard parts as a kit?

Thanks for any help!

See less See more
#3 ·
For the nets, we send a cardboard template to Mastercraft, with the axact shape of the net desired. On the template we note the locations of the rods, or whatever the fastening method is.
I can get you all the hardware, with the buckles. Let me check on the price.

We used to build some of the nets with elastic in one end, and used a mechanical retaining method for the upper bar. Since Johnny Greaves' crash at Pomona last year, those have been outlawed. Seat belt style buckle (either push button or cam over) is now required.

#4 ·
Exactly, make a cardboard template of the EXACT size/shape you want. You must also make markings on it for the mounting type (snaps,eye loops, long loop for bar). There also going to ask you to write on it where you want there Logo sewn in at.
I make mine so they would be the exact size of the opening of the window. When you mount them you can adjust the gap between the frame bars with the mounting tabs.

Todd did a trick little bend in my side window net bars so they would huge the frame tube.
Also just my .02 - I bought top and bottom quick release bars. This way I can remove the nets completly if I was just crusing around at the river or ???

I can post you up sme pics with details if needed.

#5 ·
Exactly, make a cardboard template of the EXACT size/shape you want. You must also make markings on it for the mounting type (snaps,eye loops, long loop for bar). There also going to ask you to write on it where you want there Logo sewn in at.
I make mine so they would be the exact size of the opening of the window. When you mount them you can adjust the gap between the frame bars with the mounting tabs.

Todd did a trick little bend in my side window net bars so they would huge the frame tube.
Also just my .02 - I bought top and bottom quick release bars. This way I can remove the nets completly if I was just crusing around at the river or ???

I can post you up sme pics with details if needed.
I'd like to see the pics of the bar hug thing your talking about.

#6 ·
Ok, so on my side doors they flare out almost 4" from the top bar. I wanted the affect of the cab rolling in over the driver and passenger's shoulder. Kind of like a top fuel or indy car. I ended up using my Old side window nets from the rear of my 4 seater cage.
Here is the window bars after 2 of them were wlded together. one was not long enough 34" Long

the straight one is for the top of the window

Now here's the kick or step notch Todd added. It's hard to explain but with this in, the window net can not fold down and in towards the driver. My rhino will be at the SSSS this weekend. I can show them to you in person if needed.

You see, if you try and pull down on the window net it gets tight and won't allow the bottom bar to rotate. This keeps the window net nice and tight and out up against the bent tube/window frame.

we added the top back gusset plate that bends in a radius only because it filled the gap from the window net shape. These nets came off the rear of my 4 seat cage and it sloped down in the back. These gussets actually came out looking really good instead of a plain rectangle window

#7 ·
I would suggest going with the cam lock like your harnesses use. I would think the automotive style seat belt would get packed with dirt and sand and be troublesome.

#9 ·
I would suggest going with the cam lock like your harnesses use. I would think the automotive style seat belt would get packed with dirt and sand and be troublesome.
No they don't. the buckle is a GM push button type and being required more and more.

welding will be required for the buckle mount. and drill holes for the bars, to keep one bar from moving, drill bar and insert cotter pin, this keeps it from sliding out and is legal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.