Yamaha Rhino Forum banner

700 seconday spring and weights

5K views 62 replies 8 participants last post by  1bddelx 
#1 · (Edited)
700 secondary spring and weight change...

First off I want to thank UTV CRAP for my new secondary sheave spring. I just changed out my orange epi spring for a purple epi spring and shaved my duner kit weights to exactly 18g with the cover on. Before I shaved them they were 18.7-18.8g. My shift point was 42 and now it is 46 thanks to the weights. Granted I have not made an exact tune for my car yet(tomorrow), but it's pretty close, I was shocked in the difference already. I could practically break loose my Bighorns on the asphalt( I also have internal clutch springs installed keep in mind). Going down my street with the old setup I could only hit 40 before I ran out of street, now I can hit 46 with ease. Long story short without the B.S. I am super pleased with the results so far.:banana::banana: Tomorrow I am going to make a new fuel map for my car and I can test this setup alittle bit more. Also tomorrow I will post top speed results. I recently changed to the MSD but before with my old setup I could hit 61. Just for the peeps that don't know I have an 08 700, exhaust tip, grinded welds, msd, afe intake, modified sheave and duner kit. More testing and more results to come. Thanks again UTV CRAP. Nick and Steve it was nice meeting you guys.

#8 ·
Pounds
Here are a few specs
White YDS5 215 lbs @ 3 inches 350 lbs @1.75''

Gold YDS7 200 lbs @ 3'' 330 lbs @1.75''

Purple YDS6 195 lbs @ 3'' 315 lbs @1.75

Orange YDS3 190 lbs @ 3'' 310 lbs @1.75''

Blue YDS1 160 lbs @ 3'' 280 lbs @1.75''

Red YDS2 160 lbs @ 3'' 250 lbs @1.75''

#11 ·
Well the 700s have potential but it is a matter of just tuning it right. You have the displacement that most people with the 660 want plus the f.I that is a plus also. Just don't tell Mike (dirtthumper) to much or it is going to cost me some cash. I'm not a hater I like to run with people that are faster cause it makes me drive harder and charge **** that's what makes it fun.

#12 ·
The 700 has tons of potential if setup and tuned properly. They should be able to smoke a 660 but can't. I am trying to render that problem and help the average joe go faster without opening up the motor. For Mike my lips are now sealed. I will not return his PM's. LOL
When you and I went to Silverwood that was still one of my best rides to date.

#15 ·
Well listening to all the tuning to the clutch makes me wonder if I can fine tune mine alil better to get it to hook up on the bottom more....time will tell but I can't wait to see your rhino run with that L.T and your chit running stronger than ever.

The silverwood run with you and Rory (quadcartel) was one of the faster and just all out rides I have been on. That is one of the 3 rides that top my list and hopefully more to come

#23 ·
Something like that, I will see if our Yamaha rep can get me a date when they made the change. Even on the later models the orange is an improvement over stock but at least we'll know.

#25 ·
cool, if you could find out that would be great....
I don't want to change it if its not going to do anything for me.
I can change it pretty quick, just a pain with everything else I need to get ready.

#26 ·
You would still see an improvement with the orange spring but we can always send a gold instead. We now stock every Rhino spring EPI makes except for the red, I think the red is for a ball point pen as light as it is!

#31 ·
The springs are only about 20 bucks

cool, if you could find out that would be great....
I don't want to change it if its not going to do anything for me.
I can change it pretty quick, just a pain with everything else I need to get ready.
You would still see an improvement with the orange spring but we can always send a gold instead. We now stock every Rhino spring EPI makes except for the red, I think the red is for a ball point pen as light as it is!
So far im convinced the purple is the way to go with no internal mods but on the other hand I haven't tried the gold one. I think it is too much for a semi-stock rhino. Just my .02
Good call Jeff, I forgot the purple was in between the orange and gold. We have a purple spring that we have made that we use for the 660 machines so I tend to forget about the Epi purple.

#33 ·
The sliders are a touch and go thing on the 700 models, some never go bad and some have gone bad in just a few hundred miles. The 47 bucks for the upgraded slider is just cheap insurance. As far as the spring I will see if I can find out the vin or date that they changed it at the factory, who sold you the spring?

#35 ·
my sliders looked brand new when I took them out. Still have them and the original sheave sitting on the shelf.
Steve, I don't think I bought the kit from you - I think I got it from Unleashed back then.

#39 ·
cool, well not really....I guess hot would be better....hehe
bet your wife wishes you guys lived in CM or HB during the summer ??
Palmdale is much closer to the riding area's though.

#44 ·
:hijacked: Hey STEVE what do you guys use for the 660s I think im running the orange right now but might be looking to play around with my set up a little. Off the line it doesnt grab hard in seems to slip or something is slipping, what are the chances its the wet clutch ? Thanks and sorry Jeff

Hey Jeff im game to see how quick we can make it devils hole......but 10 mins is hauling ass from miller canyon ???

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.